Sunday, November 17, 2013

First Axel

The Axel is a big deal - its the hardest of single jumps, or so I am told.  My daughter, who is seven started working on it with her coach in a harness about a month or so ago, and yesterday she landed one... then another... and then two more.  Technically they were not great, she cheated a little bit of her rotation but she landed it.  I don't know if its because I forced her to wear her halo, and her butt pants, or if its because I have been asking (um..hmm.. strongly encouraging) her to practice them off ice, but yesterday was her day.  I am ecstatic, thrilled, over the moon, and can't wait for her to practice her technique.  She however wants to play with her kitten, watch TV, and generally rest on her laurels... Although I can't blame her - she works at her sport way more then I work at my sport,  I am worried that this new found Axel confidence "I got it mom" is going to back fire.  I don't know from experience but round the rink it appears that the Axel is a fickle creature, success coming and going all the time.  My daughter has seen the Axel gifts given out at the rink from coaches and parents and is basically expecting it to rain like Christmas.  I have had to explain to her that the increase in coach time to work on technique in preparation for San Jose in February is cutting into "impulse gift getting" and isn't success enough of a gift?  But I did splurge and get extra kitten toys for her baby, and a new pair of leg warmers for the rink :)
Happy Skating

No comments:

Post a Comment