Monday, November 25, 2013

Toughest Decision Ever

My little Ice Diva has had the same coach since the beginning, and the two of them have been thick as thieves for a long time.  Recently however, something changed - and my seven year old actually requested a coach change.  It broke my heart.  It made me angry that her coach had let her down.  It made me sad that I would have to do something I had thus far avoiding doing my entire life.  I have never ever ever broken up with anyone.  I've never quit anything, except for one job which I only quit because I was pretty sure they were violating all types of laws and I would be held responsible.

Her ex coach is upset. I feel horrible, but somehow I know that listening to my daughter about who is and who is not a good coach for her is the right thing to do.  The fact that her pediatrician (yes I discussed it with her doctor), her father, and many other's felt that it was the right thing to do helps.  However, it still sucks.  This is the ugly side of figure skating no one talks about.  What happens when the relationship that was so good suddenly sours.  My daughter wants more out of skating, her old coach was unable or unwilling to take her seriously.  She was late for practice and valued the time of other skaters more than my daughter. 

Its a sad night all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment