Wednesday, November 6, 2013

USFSA or ISI

New skate mom's always ask me (like I know) how DD got started in ice skating.  I explain that she went to an outdoor rink, decided she wanted to skate and then I got her into group lessons.  What I suspect these new skate mom's are really trying to decide is whether or not they should join ISI or USFSA.  My DD joined both.

The ISI - or International Skating Institute is a skating group geared towards the recreational skater.  Its competitions are cheaper to enter, and being a member is pretty cheap as well.  The rink DD skates at six days a week is an ISI rink.  This means that the rink teaches the "we skate" program.  My daughter loves the ISI method of teaching which is like climbing a ladder.  Each level is four or five new skills, when you get close enough to mastering them you test and get a badge.  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150645175901699&set=a.442196101698.232733.117409556698&type=1&source=11

USFSA is the United States Figure Skating Association, I have been told that this is for more "serious" figure skaters.  I don't know if that is true or not because it also offers a learn to skate program - called something like snow plow sam.  USFSA fees are much higher - and the competitions are more expensive to enter as well.  However, at a high enough level in USFSA you can compete at Regionals and win a spot for Sectionals.  If you are good enough, and old enough you might even make the Olympic team.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/USFSA/102167899824981

So what should your kid join?  Probably ISI.  My DD would not have joined USFSA until she can land an axel and a few doubles except that she got the opportunity to be on a competition team that competed predominately at USFSA competitions. Membership in the team required membership in USFSA.  That being said however, DD loved the USFSA competitions. 




No comments:

Post a Comment